Skip to main content

Bike sheds and urinal ettiquette

I noticed something today, something that I had previously ignored, on locking up my practical (in every sense except cost-effective) bicycle this morning in the bike shed provided by my place of work. When I entered the enclosure (see diagram 1 below), I realised that nearly every other bike hoop had been taken, so I started thinking about which space it would be most proper to appropriate for myself. Normally, at 8.15am this is a mere formality, as I park in a nearly empty bike shed at the far end, directly underneath the security camera. Today, I'd dropped off le petit monstre at his nursery (that is not an euphemism for anything before you begin) and so was a few minutes later than is usual, hence the rather replete shed. What am I doing? I thought to myself, this is not a toilet, just take the first space available.


Diagram 1. Our shed has a nifty half-pipe style roof. 
Great for nearly keeping the weather out, bad for 
bashing helmets there upon.
That's when it hit me: I was treating the bike shed just as I would a public lavatory.


Diagram 2. Room 0.18 - Winner of
"Most visited room in the building"
Category 2008 - 2011
Many moons ago, to take you on an unnecessary digression, I discussed public lavatory etiquette with a friend, often (in my head) referred to simply by his twitter moniker, wondergnome. We realised that there was an unwritten code, understood but seldom articulated, that governed just which urinal a gentleman should chose in a number of scenarios. For example and to refer to diagram 2 below, in the event that in a three urinal lavatory, all three urinals are empty, one would travel to the furthest convenience from the door (number 3), to allow the next person a feeling of personal space into which to step. Likewise, if the last urinal is occupied, one would naturally take the first urinal, to allow the same feeling of personal space and to limit the slightly inevitable inadvertent splash-back cross contamination. There are more, intuitively understood protocols, which I'm sure you will agree are universally present in the minds of the modern male. What fun, we joked, to produce a mock-serious book, perhaps a Christmas stocking filler-type gift title, full of these toiletry treasures, at which every man will nod sagely and every woman despair.


Needless to say, two Taureans, minds aflame with momentary passions, would never have made it past the inflammatory brain-storming stage and onto the smouldering planning and delivery bit. As most great ideas are, it was snuffed out by some more beer and fags and the passing of time.


However, when I realised that I was in fact adhering to urinal etiquette in the bike shed, I stopped and had a little giggle to myself. I also managed to resist the urge to take a piddle in the corner. Kudos old man, kudos.


Of course, I am not alone. A quick Google search found that The International Centre for Bathroom Etiquette and Bike Snob NYC have both already beaten me to the punch, convincingly so, it would seem. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, memories, how fleeting etc

Cleaning up the old FB inbox, I came across a message (see below) from a chum who reminded me how indifferent the Universe can be to the trials of mere mortals.   Firstly, my name isn't Chris (although Mark may have been protecting my identity - no need old bean!) and secondly, I'm not sure The Hayes Island Snack Bar sells pies... Still, on the first point, Ninjah (residents of Cardiff will know exactly which 7 foot bin-thumping rap star I'm talking about) called me Nick for ten years, and the lovely Lisa from Jazzy Jackets in the market insisted my name was Matt. When set straight they were respectively mystifyingly unperturbed (Ninjah didn't care - he preferred Nick to Gareth), and embarrassingly forgetful (I became instead "Maaaaa - shit! - Gar!")   Anyway, I have no idea about how genuine this extract courtesy of Mark Thomas may be, but it warms my cockles nonetheless. Enjoy.   13 November 2008     Mark Thomas can't remember things the way they happene...

Dribbles of concern

I was wandering around after work (read: walking home), musing on suitable subjects about which to blog and avoiding students on bicycles and cars intent on killing something, anything, at crossings and junctions, when I was distracted by the thought that I had never shaved every day ever. New job, new skin care regime I had reasonably assumed before starting - along with new Gap jumpers, Gap corduroys, Gap shirts (and you know what? I strongly dislike Gap. Go figure) and an errant H&M pullover - and had stuck to it for the full week without so much as thinking about not shaving. But now I was. . I'm not sure why shaving has become such a standard requirement for suitably dressed men past the age of university slackerdom. I regularly enjoyed 3 weeks worth of fluff up until the age of 32, even once the lovingly groomed ponytail had been ceased to be a feature of my daily routine, having been hacked orf during a moment of drunken clarity one drizzly Tuesday afternoon, aro...

In response, a rebuttal, from an apologist for the Liverpool Cause

I feel the need to raise the ugly spectre of my footballing allegiance this sunny Tuesday morning in response to some not unfounded criticism from an  understandably long-suffering Jack , now into the fourth (or fifth?) day of waiting for the delivery of a little Jack, and also a Swansea City fan of some years. I say not unfounded but playing to an anti “Plastic Scouser”* crowd is just going for cheap laughs if you ask me. So, a rebuttal it is. In no particular order, let’s start with punditry. Like all those in the harsh media spot light, the best football pundits are the ones who are unequivocal about their opinions. It doesn’t matter if they’re right or wrong, as long as they invite comment and argument, otherwise what would be the point? An expert opinion is useful if one has to make a decision on something, but when the decision is out of your hands in the first place, the only use it serves is to make a prediction that can be debated endlessly for fun or to infuria...